Monday, March 02, 2009

First taste of Singapore

I arrived at the Changi airport really groggy and looking for a wi-fi connection, just so I could send a ym to jed. It's not exactly cheap to text or call via Singtel using your globe line. Fortunately, there was wi-fi in the airport and unfortunately I couldn't access my EQO (IM thingy Jed installed in my mobile) so I had to use the network. I sent the required "I just arrived here in Singapore" to Pop, Jed and Kaye (who of course was going to pick me up from the airport haha). While waiting for Kaye, I decided to go over to the vendo to see if I could actually get a drink. How come they've got cooler vendos anywhere but the phils.? Haha. Coffee, softdrinks, water, energy drink all in one vendo. Amanda gave me a 50c coin which she said I would use... my brain went ting tint ting!!! But alas! Kulang ako ng 10c to buy a drink hahaha. The vendo doesn't accept bills so where would I get coins? I decided to eat my Bo's Chicken BLT sandwich instead which I purchased in the airport back home. Like I said, I was asleep the whole flight. Lo and behold Kaye arrives, with bottled water!!! I am saved!

Kaye picked me up from the airport in her full suit... jogging suit that is complete with pedometer. Well, it's been a joke around the house that me going to singapore was going to be some sorta boot camp--- Kaye, who is training for a marathon and walks with a pedometer all day would drag me along with her. So seeing her in her full suit--- was this the symbol of things yet to come? Heehee.

Luckily, I was given a break. For now I suppose? Hardly got any rest. No I didn't exercise. We dropped off my stuff at her place (Park Infinia) which was fab. She has all the furniture I always wanted (I'll post the pictures when I get back to manila). Plus, I get my own room and bathroom. And she has a huge flat screen tv. Weeee!

I started my first taste of singapore life getting in a cab. Their cabs are equipped with GPS. Cool. Plus, their dial-a-cab services really work. I mean, they'll even tell you how many minutes before the cab picks you up! The transport services here are so efficient, you don't need a car! I tried the metro, the bus (which are mostly double deckers!) and the cabs. I was given an EZ Link (like a store value card) but you can use it for the bus and the metro.

First activity outta the house was going to mass at St. Theresa's Church. We road the 143 bus. This church is hightech too. They've got flat screen tv's every other pillar insaide the church where devotees can read the responsorial psalm to the hymns to the instructions for communion on it. And it's aircon. Another weeeee! Their mass was pretty long, they practically sang everything they could put into song... and there was this particular reader who looked very asian, but spoke with a british accent. Oh yeah, the colony. I loved his accent. Maybe I should start sporting one too? Hehe.

After mass--- sunday lunch at about 1:30pm (which is about the same time we eat sunday lunch back home anyway). Kaye brought me to Wisma Atria (one of the many malls located along the famous Orchard road)to their like food court, but a much better version of it. I saw the first stall, I was already hungry. We settled at I think the "Fortunate" resto. That's the name. Our table was sandwich between to places so we got hakaw from the Fortunate resto and delicious Shiok!!! from the adjacent jap resto. Shiok was just heavenly. Charcoal grilled eel wrapped with lightly roasted salmon= Shiok!!! Creamy, rich, smokey flavors just tickle your palate. Oh, and of course, I got my first taste of Laksa! It was good!No wonder it's my Mom's current addiction. She has Cristy cook Laksa at home too. Now, it's going to be better appreciated hehe.

What is singapore without shopping. That's practically all they do really. Plus, there's always a sale, according to Kaye. So I should look around first and figure out what I want to buy. Oh and Kaye bought me a new pair of rubber shoes, and a pedometer to match. Wee! I think I'm going to break 'em in today. She bought me a ticket to the Hop-on hopp-off tour bus too. Really cool. It's valid for 3 days and it starts tom., so I'm pretty excited although I have to study the maps here and bring one just in case. Everybbody in Singapore knows orchard road so whatever happens, I'll just take whatever transport that ttakes me to orchard road because from there I can get home.

Went home for a brief "siesta", a break for Kaye who totaled 20,000 something steps in one day. We had dinner at the East Coast, where No Signboard Restaurant is located. The best chili crabs in Singapore! I first saw this resto on the Asian Food Channel and from then on, I have been waiting for the day I'd get to taste it. Kaye ordered a 2Kilo crab and fried shrimp with cereals (raised an eyebrow at this one, turns out the cereals are good too, and it''s a diff. kind of cereals...) and of course, the fried bread which to dip in the chili sauce. Can you say- AMAZING!!! I couldn't get enough! Even my shirt was eating hahaha. So good. I ony stopped eating cos I got full. It's so addicting, right hint of spicyness and sweetness... myabe it's really made that way. So you keep coming back for more.

Anyhoot, have to bounce, gonna cook my "brunch" then head out to explore. I still have to read my maps and list down the nearby places I can go to. If I get lost--- Kaye armed me with a singtel cellphone too! Ciao! Am off to my next adventure!

No comments: